Friday, June 5, 2015

Smashwords interview with the universal teacher

Interview with George Babineau

What is your writing process?
Someone much more famous than me once said something like, "the mistakes you make create and define the character you become." But I forget his name. I can assure you that as a 'regular Joe' or at least a 'regular George,' I have made so many mistakes in life that I have more character from my life experiences, successes and failures that one mind can contain. So I write and share, hoping someone will read my tale, and prevent the same mistakes I have made along the way.

As a non-fiction writer, first and foremost, I have stories to tell. True-life, first hand, sometimes embarrassing even humiliating stories, but stories nonetheless. My ultimate goal of writing TEFL Teach and Travel is to educate the world (At least the world of 'Native English Speakers') on how they can escape a world they may not really be happy in, and offer the tools on how they can become geographically free to explore the world, without having to save up to go on holiday and be a tourist. 

My main point is to encourage potential people, tied down to their cubicle, in a mundane and competitive world they seek to escape, and teach them how to make the decision to become a global traveler, a vagabond if you will, and immerse themselves in another countries culture and society offering them a chance to live, work and play in another country, making the most money, with the freedom to move around to another place (country, city, school) without being limited geographically. 

Getting certified to Teach English as a Foreign Language is as simple as enrolling in the most globally respected tefl-c.com online course, negotiating the best contract, in the environment that you want to explore, get a visa, and just go. 

Another wise person once said, the grass is not always greener on the other side." And I believe this is fact, but again, I haven't a clue who said it. I can assure you that proper planning is essential. But how do you properly prepare for a potentially scary and unstable life? Read both TEFL Teach and Travel books on the market today, and look forward to Volume 3, which will articulate more teaching tools, and encourage a realm of adaptability preventing mistakes before they happen.



Do you remember the first time you decided you wanted to Teach abroad?
I remember the moment like it was yesterday. I remember the sights, sounds, atmosphere, and most of all the person who suggested that I make this dramatic lifestyle change. 

I was at Zuma Beach, back home in California facing potential homelessness, with an uncertain tomorrow. I was with my best friend in all the realms. We spent the morning surfing some amazing waves, and went for breakfast. We were enjoying cinnamon french toast piled high with whipped cream with caramel and chocolate drizzled on top. It was a scene of paradise. He had been drawn to a flier posted on the Pepperdine University career center bulletin board that screamed my name.

"TEACH and travel the world" was the headline, and detailed 'how to' get certified... In Prague, Czech Republic. Within a month, I had enrolled, and was moving with all I could fit in two suitcases and a backpack. I sold my truck, gave away or trashed everything that was once me. It was a very humbling experience. Like holding at a yard sale and someone is haggling over a 20.00 item, which once had a 200.00 price tag, and had a sentimental value that words could not express with a worth. I sold that item for 5.00, and thought for a moment, this is what life has reduced me to. It was horrific.
What were you thinking when you made the decision to Teach?
I had always been a wanderer, trying to find my place in the world, and never really fitting in anywhere, or with anyone. Working job to job, paycheck to paycheck, barely being able to survive this rat race we call a life. I was rarely happy, consuming myself in my work to find happiness. Hiding in relationships I thought were the last relationship I'd ever have, always filled with hope thinking, "there must be a better way."

When I actually decided to take on this new adventure, I had paid the tuition, purchased my air ticket and knew I was leaving the old me behind, and creating a new me. I was in a euphoric fog of happiness and confusion. My future was now most certainly uncertain. It wasn't until i was actually on the plane, leaving my country, in that place just between sleep and awake that I realized what I just did was the best thing I could do. I made the decision to take control of my chaotic life, with no exact plan for the future. Where would I live? Where would I work? What would I eat? Thousands of questions kept slamming into my brain. And those thoughts hurt. Most of all, what had I worked so hard for, only to leave behind. Not just things, people too.

But when I landed in Prague, a rush of new opportunity, new smells, new sights overwhelmed my depression and anxiety, opening my eyes to the possibilities that perhaps the grass is greener...
What made you decide to take on this new lifestyle?
There was no singular issue in my mind. The recent life experiences of graduating university, taking a different career path than I had been totally focused on for years, only to get laid off after a hurricane, returning 'home' only to find home wasn't the same, and realizing that I cant afford to live the same life I had before university. It was devastating. Isn't this WHY I went to university in the first place, you have a better career, a better life? I knew there had to be a better way, but I didn't know where to look. 

Sleeping on a friends couch, with a pile of debt, and no immediate plan on how to solve my own problems, when the opportunity presented itself, I knew it was the right choice for me. I met all of the criteria. I was young and passionate about life. I was open minded and accepting of new opportunities, I was eager to travel the world, and not only had the ability, but the qualifications. 

As a citizen of the USA, and passport holder, (you must be a 'Native Speaker' born in and a citizen of The USA, Canada, The UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South America), University educated with a Bachelor degree (The minimum education credential is a four year degree in any subject), aged 24 to 54 (I certainly had age on my side), and a willingness to adapt to a new culture, the decision to get certified to teach English was easy. 

Foraging for jobs, during my research process I realized most contracts with the highest paying schools not only provided a tax-free income, but provided housing and some even included round trip air fare and health insurance. That was all I needed to know. In addition to a well paying job, I would have a house over my head, I could get to and from for free, and would be taken care of if I had any medical concern. Best of all, at the end of my contract if I didn't like where I was in life, I could move to another school, city, even another country. I didn't need to look much farther. I got enrolled to be certified to teach English as a Foreign Language.
What was the certification process experience like?
When I first landed in Prague (with favorable winds, our flight arrived almost two hours early), I was overwhelmed by new and unique experiences that overwhelmed my senses. The arrival process was flawless. Grabbing my two suitcases and hefting my backpack (I was way over-packed, but this wasn't a holiday after all, this was the certification process to begin my newly chosen life). I was still over-packed. Metaphorically speaking, I had excess baggage that I could only 'let go' of in time. 

Drearily-eyed. exiting the airport on a beautifully blue skied day, I was overwhelmed looking for my name, or the certification school logo. I had passed by hundreds of drivers who weren't looking for me. I had no phone, no way of contacting them to tell them I was here early. I managed my way outside after dozens of taxi drivers, seeing I had no driver, maraud me for my fare. I just smiled and waved as I exited to a mob of smokers, bumming one, and lighting up. 

Within minutes, a driver was running across the street, and I noticed my name on his card. I stood, and said, "Dobry Den" which is just one of several phrases I learned prior to my departure during the hurry up and wait phase. He replied in perfectly broken English, as whisked me away through the countryside, into the city to my new apartment, then eventually my school. 

The school was a small second floor 'store front' teaching locals English and certifying new teachers. I had the weekend to explore Prague on my own, and classes would begin on Monday. I explored everywhere, trying not to be a tourist. Arriving two days early was the best thing I could have done. By the time the other teacher trainees arrived, I knew the city. Al least I thought I did. 

The first class, our first instructor came in speaking full fledged Czech, and blew away the classroom. We were immersed in the Czech Language, and the class went along, we played his game. But after about 45 minutes, he broke into a beautiful British English and I was hooked. He had demonstrated that when meeting a new class for the very first time, they wouldn't have much of a clue what we as teachers would be communicating. And the best lesson learned as an educator. It took at least 10 minutes to realize what he was actually trying to say, and once we realized that, we could play along better. It was inspirational. It created a long lasting first impression meeting any new class, in any country. 

From that point on, I knew I was in the right place. And I remember self-learning those important Czech phrases he was trying to teach us, because I learned it in an immersive environment. Not only how to say something in a foreign language, but what it means, and how to recycle those words in other conversation. 

For the next four weeks, I was excited to learn everything I could about creative immersive teaching styles.
How can you help others make the decision to get certified to teach English?
Well, that is the point of publishing TEFL teach and travel! Every person on the planet is unique and different. Just as every teaching environment is unique and different. This career is NOT for everyone! But, if you have the desire, the creativity and passion to live, work and play abroad, then that is the first qualifier to determine if you are able to be certified to teach English as a Foreign Language. It all begins with you. 

I can tell you stories about me, and my personal experiences, and love to share the mistakes I have made along the way in order to prevent others from making them too. But as long as you posses the desire, it doesn't matter what lot in life you are currently in, the decision to make a change is entirely up to you. 

The next step is most certainly do you meet the minimum qualifications to get certified to teach English as a Foreign Language? These qualifications are paramount. In a foreign country, you absolutely can not be issued a legal working visa unless you are qualified to be a "Foreign Expert."
Are you a native English speaker? Are you born in a citizen of and a current passport holder of the USA, Canada, The UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa? 
I am sorry, If you are a citizen of the USA, and were born in the Philippines, Guam or India, or another nation that the entire globe doesn't recognize as one of the native speaking countries, you 'could be employed' under a loophole, or illegally, but it is not recommended, and certainly not legal. You simply can't be born in Kenya, and a UK passport holder, and expect a foreign nation will employ you as a "Foreign Expert." Most certainly there are places you can work! But it won't be legal, and you might wonder if you even get a paycheck next month. Beware! Opportunities do exist, but be wary of them. My focus is on the properly qualified candidates, and how to find the best job for you.
This job is highly desirable, but visa restrictions are the law when it comes to teaching English in their country. If you want the highest paying jobs, and the best working environments, you will have a legal work visa, and have met the most minimum qualifications of being a "Foreign Expert."

Next, is the basic requirement of a four year university diploma. You don't need a Bachelor in Education. I have a Bachelor in International Hospitality Management. I also have started my Masters degree online at Harvard University earning a certificate in Leadership Management and Global Business. Completely paid for as a benefit of my experience teaching for Disney English in Beijing. 

Age is also a factor for some countries. 24 to 54 demonstrates you are in good health with the ability to perform your duties as a teacher.

Finally, and the most important, you MUST possess an internationally recognized teaching certificate. A TEFL diploma is required. Most countries require practical hands on teaching experience. As I attended the International Teaching College in Prague, Czech Republic, that was my ticket to teach anywhere in the world. Subsequently years later, I had to take a course recommended by Disney English, and was amazed at the complete theory into practice methodology of the online training modules. Earning a 2nd credential, realizing how highly coveted this certification is, I encourage everyone to take the advance course. At a cost of 880.00 USD, compared with the 2,400 Euros my teaching college charged, It is a no-brainer. The TEFL-C curriculum is far more advanced and practical than the hands on classroom experience I endured. But either can meet the teaching certification requirement, it all depends on your learning style. 

I enjoyed my teaching, living and learning experience in Prague, and have many wonderful memories, but sitting in Starbucks each morning people watching, studying and learning the TEFL-C curriculum online at the Columbia University Teachers College, with a proctor evaluating my interaction, evaluating my progress and suggesting more resources to prepare me for my next step as a Foreign teacher, it is with a high recommendation that I encourage anyone to the tefl-c.com curriculum as it is more affordable, and can be done in your PJ's at home, or at your favorite cafe. I highly recommend that you do not wear your PJ's to your favorite cafe.
What mistakes have you made that you can help others prevent?
Oh! I have made plenty of mistakes in my Teach and Travel career. You can't plan ahead if you do not know 'what's next.'

For example, throughout my four week certification process, we were focused on learning interactive, immersive teaching techniques with no focus on the future. For four weeks, we learned nothing of the job market, or how to find a job. In the final few days while preparing for our four teaching practicums (active teaching final exams), the students (teachers in training) asked "how do we find the best job?" Our answers went unheard. Just two days before graduation we were taught how to create a CV (Curriculum Vitae) and toss our resume away. So graduation day, while we had a guaranteed 'job' for the summer, teaching summer camp in the Czech Republic, two things entered our minds. 1, that's not a career, that's only a summer job. 2, Where do we live after Saturday night, as a new group of student's were arriving to take over our apartments. In fact, a few had already arrived, and were sleeping on our couches! Panic presented itself. Anxiety set in. 

I suggest that if you attend a teacher training and certification school, you create your CV during the first week, and pose the questions daily. Most reputable companies now teach you how yo create your CV, and where to post your online resume, and how to gain membership and register online to access the thousands of jobs available around the globe. I did not know how important it was to begin the job hunt before I was certified, and although my certification school was high quality, and a positive experience, that is the only place that they failed us. The failed to teach us to think ahead, to plan ahead, and to prepare well in advance where to look, and how to find the best job, ever. 

TEFL Teach and Travel 2 clearly articulates my certification and teaching timeline, and each teaching job I have held, positive and negative stories of my experiences, and hope those experiences can help you prevent the mistakes that I made, and more important encourage you to ask more questions you didn't even know to ask. 

The hardest lesson to learn is this... What happens when you have met the qualifications, earned your certification, and negotiate the best contract, at the best teaching environment, for the highest amount of money, with the best benefits including time off and holidays, and you arrive flawlessly to find that your housing isn't up to that countries standards, as they most certainly wont meet western standards... Well, that's the focus on TEFL Teach and Travel 3. I will teach you how to be culturally sensitive, how to recognize and overcome culture shock, and how to ease into your teaching environment earning a commitment of trust with your students, and administration. 

Someone famous once said, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." But of course, I don't remember who that person was. I can assure you that properly prepared, armed with a variety of resources, and filled with knowledge, there is only one person that can make you happy with your environment, and that is you. 

So live it up, enjoy the contract, and enjoy the benefits of living, working and playing abroad. Pay off some debt, save some money, travel the world in your free time, and with every potential downfall, you can always refer to your past. "Are you better off now, than you once were?" Only you can answer that question for yourself. 

For me, I have good days and I have bad days. When I have a bad day, I take a short 2 block walk to the beach, and laugh at my environment. My debt load is going down, my savings is going up, and my health is prospering. People at my current school have been here for several years. Others whom arrived last year, and counting the days to leave, and have essentially given up. Everyone is a unique individual. What is a good environment for some, may not be for you. Do your research on the community where you will live, work and play before you accept the job. Ask to speak to current teachers at the school, domestic and foreign, in order to help you with your decision. But above all, when you leave your country, ready to teach English as a Foreign Language, be prepared to experience a different way of life, and be adaptable to that environment.
What is the hardest thing you had to overcome living, working and playing in a new culture?
Cultural sensitivity is a hard thing to come to terms with. I will give you three perfect examples. 
1. Living in Korea was the most amazing cultural adjustment. Nothing worked out well in the transition, including the pre-arrival visa process, but it was my first public school contract, and the promise of a new career, so with encouragement, I endured the small inconveniences, that at the time were huge. So huge in fact that I wanted to board the next plane bound for 'home' and it was only then that I realized I had no home to return to, and no assets. My 'things' were gone, I had no car, and no ability to 'start over' as this job was my first opportunity to 'start over.' It was just after my first week of classes. The students calmed down at my arrival, and I was prepared for class lessons. The first overwhelming culture shock was preparing for a class with diligence, only to find that classes were cancelled today for 'sports day,' or other similar activity. There was little advance notice, and some classes, five minutes would pass by, and I would go wandering into another teachers classroom attempting to ask them why the students have no English class, the response, 'test day.' I would go watch movies on my big screen, laying on a pile of PE mats, and chill for 8 hours. The second most amazing culture shock is being invited to the Korean Principals house at 10 am with all the teachers, not being to communicate with anyone, and drinking 'Soju' quite heavily, then returning to teaching a full day of classes... And finally the most painful culture shock was the Korean co-teachers emotional instability. He would beat the students on the head, shoulders, and bodies. Sometimes so hatefully, I would have to simply leave the classroom in tears. But corporal punishment is allowed in the classroom. So I have to accept that. 
2. While my housing in Korea was amazingly modern and rent free, other foreign teachers did not enjoy the same standards as my school provided me. I was very fortunate. My school also paid all of my utilities, which meant if I was chilled, I could crank the heat, and if I was slightly warm, I could crank the AC. What shocked me culturally was the food. I was open to new experiences and enjoyed everything that was constantly shoved in front of me, but later... processing that food, and eliminating it from my body were horrific challenges that I began to learn what not to eat, and eventually found my groove where, and what to eat. 
3. Finally, teaching can be extremely lonely. At my last government high school in China, I experienced loneliness as I had never experienced before. For most of the year, I carried a double teaching load as the 2nd foreign teacher left the same weekend we arrived. She experienced a culture shock that would put any female into shock and awe, and in a run away quickly environment. And that she did. We were placed in what China deems a small city, way out in the sticks of nowhere. Why? Because I had no geographic preference. I could make it anywhere. I took this job because of the high income, and the zero expenses. No housing cost, no utilities, no taxes. I would bank just about all of my paycheck each month. But that comes with a price. 
There was no western exposure anywhere in this small city of 600,000 people. Not even one other foreigner, no foreign foods. Hell, it was six months before I could convince the grocery store to get cheese, or peanut butter. Many friends from 'home' send care packages. These care packages didn't arrive, as they had the previous year in Beijing. Foreign parcels, especially heavy ones just never seemed to make it to their final destination. It was painful. But I told my friends to stop mailing me things, as they'd never get to me. 
I had access to transportation to get to a bigger city, and after meeting a friend who wanted a "Bro-mance" he helped me navigate. A bromance is something where Chinese guys want to make a friend with a foreigner, and they earn bragging rights to their claim. It was the best thing for me after enduring 7 months of loneliness, and finally adjusted to the fact that he was my tour guide, and he introduced me to his hometown family and friends, who welcomed me with open arms. I learned so much about Chinese history and culture. But it didn't last long, my contract was only 10 months, and I wanted a new environment. And that I did.
How did you learn about self-publishing?
That is one amazingly loaded question. I asked a student to show me his mid-term English exam that the Chinese teachers (Who teach English class totally in Chinese) gave him. I was so interested in how they test the students ability to learn and retain English in a non-English environment. While he scored high on the multiple choice question exam, there was no test of creative thinking or creative writing. What caught my attention was a reading comprehension article about Amanda Hocking, and how a normal American could write her story down and self-publish it online, and become a millionaire. While she emerged in the boom or self-publishing, and wasn't looking for fame, or millions, she just wanted to raise a little extra money to attend a concert, or convention, and it was out of her budget. 
After reading that I immediately did some research to get the whole story. That was spring 2013. That is when I decided I had a story to tell, and would begin in my spare time to design a book where I could tell my story. After all a little extra money is better than no extra money. Several months later, I had a product to sell, and published on Amazon.com. revisions later, and a whole series of Fiction stories, I focused on something that was truly essential and much needed in the non-fiction world. 

I needed to tell my story, and encourage others looking for an amazing new lifestyle of being geographically flexible, and a career that required little effort for great rewards. I wanted to tell everyone how they could become certified to teach English, and experience the positives, preventing the negatives and challenges associated with living, working and playing in another country. I had met hundreds of other teachers who I simply wondered how did they ever get their job? Because foreign countries NEED native English speakers to be teachers. And there is a whole world that doesn't even know how easy it is to "work smarter."

Less work, more money. That is what most people want. But most don't want to leave the safety and security of the environment they have created. Others are looking for nothing more than to escape their reality and travel the globe. That is the target market I am writing for. That is why I started writing and publishing. And I encourage everyone looking for a new career path, and have the qualifications, to read my books, enjoy my stories, and make the decision for themselves to be geographically free to explore the world Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
What's next for you?
Let me tell you a funny story. With its ups and downs in my current environment, I want to articulate what my job is, the benefits and disadvantages. You make your own determination. 
I live in a seaside holiday resort, two blocks from the beach in Jnshitan, Liaoning province in the north of China. At any given time of the year, houses equipped as private entertainment venues can be rented by anyone to host their friends to party, karaoke, eat and have fun. the best part, they don't have to clean up the mess in the morning. It's an excellent environment for a party palace. Living next to a neighborhood of these places is sometimes extremely annoying listening to the drunken chaos, bad karaoke wailing, and worse, the Chinese do love their fireworks. From my window, any time throughout the day (really?) and night, I can experience some of the most wonderful displays of fireworks. So close, I could touch it. This comes as quite a shock at 3am, windows open, writing diligently (or worse sleeping), and Boom Boom firecrackers! Wow! It is something to get used to. But I balance that inconvenience by knowing that 2 blocks away is the beach. 
My 'western style' house doesn't have air conditioning, and barely emits enough heat pumping through my walls from the government provided coal heat provided late November to late January. And sadly this contract doesn't provide free utilities as my last contract provided. Living has its challenges, but easy to overcome by buying a portable heater, and extra blankets. teaching in the classroom is as challenging in the winter with little heat. I remember in Beijing, my apartment was so hot, I had my windows open most of the winter. It all just depends on the environment which you are provided. 
Next, the working environment. I teach 3 classes, and have only one subject, so that means I only have to prepare for one class. But these classes are 70 minutes long, compared to last years 45 minute classes. This makes a HUGE difference in teaching hours, and I didn't ask that question in advance. But the most hellish part is the 8 hour work day. I have also learned to overcome this challenge, when there is little to do. As my house is mere steps from my classroom in a gated teacher housing community, I simply leave my office in between classes and go home. Nobody really cares. I get my salary paid every month, and haven't had any issues other than taxation. Something else I didn't inquire about. Sure I may be making more money than last year, but 11 percent of it is being paid to the Chinese government, where I receive no refund at the end of the year, as I would in the USA for making poverty level wages. 
How do I overcome these issues? I work a total of 191 teaching days. but I enjoy a 12 month contract. In addition to the 9 to 13 day October and May holiday and the 28 to 35 day Spring festival holiday in February, I also enjoy two complete months off in the summer, all paid holidays. With this paid time off, all of my complaints suddenly disappear. I enjoy weekends off, and most of all, complete health coverage through MSH Asia. I enjoy a 1,500 stipend for air travel, and the biggest and most amazing surprise to me... 
On March 15th, all teachers were requested to commit our intentions to renew or end our contracts for the upcoming fall. Renewal contracts would be presented mid-April, and by May 1st, everyone received their contract renewals, except me. I was in a panic. I waited to ask, but endured the anxiety until after my teaching performance evaluation. Then I asked. Evidently I had signed a TWO year contract (with an option to leave after the first year). I was in a panic for nothing. When I read my contract, I most certainly had signed a two year contract. Nothing could have made me happier.
Whats next for me? I am staying right where I am for at least one more year. I am going to improve my writing style, and share better stories, providing a better educational and entertainment resource, and hope that readers will enjoy the balance between the good and the bad of living abroad. 
I encourage everyone to read the TEFL Teach and Travel series as it develops, and share them with their friends. Everyone is looking for something. Is this something you want to do? Take action now and just do it.
What's the story behind your latest book?
While TEFL Teach and Travel 3 will include the same abbreviated "how to" get certified to Teach English as a Foreign Language encouraging qualified candidates to get certified, it will include more exciting detailed educationally entertaining stories about the conflicts of living, working and playing in a foreign environment, while detailing more engaging, original experiences of my daily conflicts dealing with students, in their environment. After all, I am the foreigner, living in their culture and society, and most of all, opening their eyes to the world around them. 

In America, at least for me, the arrogance of our culture being forced to "press 1 for English," It excites me to see China, and its ever-growing ex-patriot (foreign citizens living here) population growing, moving here to teach them English (Before they move abroad and force us to learn Chinese) that they have made it easy for us, they are converting all signage to English, and that helps to navigate around easier. There are other cultural and societal norms that they are years from overcoming, but this in fact, their country. 

Bottom line, This job isn't for everyone. Even if you do meet the minimum requirements, and get certified to Teach English as a Foreign Language, if a Chinese citizen repulses you by hawking up a 'loogie' and spitting in front of you, or taking a pee, or a dump next to a tree in public offends you, then I highly suggest you stay home and enjoy the life you lead. 

Otherwise, there is a great big world out there to explore, and while I will be returning 'home' for half the paid summer holiday, I am already planning my three paid holiday trips next year. I fully intend to check off three things off my 'bucket list' including visiting Sherwood forest in England, learning to make a bow and arrows from a 'Yew tree," I plan on making the dangerous trek to Tibet, and finally, exploring more of the South Pacific islands in search of the perfect beach. What are your plans? 

I encourage everyone to like the universal teacher page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theuniversalteacher and subscribe to my blog http://theuniversalteacher.blogspot.com/



Published 2015-06-05.

No comments:

Post a Comment